15 FACTS ABOUT PHYSIOTHERAPY
1. Physiotherapy is a healthcare profession that assesses, diagnoses, treats, and works to prevent disease and disability through physical (exercise-based) means.
2. Physiotherapists don’t attend to only people who are sick; they also attend to healthy athlete who are interested building their physical strength and endurance in order to reach the peak of their careers.
3. Historians have determined that physiotherapy was invented by Greek physician Hippocrates who is considered the “Father of Medicine.” In 460 BC, Hippocrates used hydrotherapy (water therapy) to treat patients and invented this commonly used practice which is still used thousands of years later.
4.For many people in most part of the world, physiotherapists have continued to play the roles of a life savers, restoring their quality of life and overall mental, emotional, physical, and social functioning.
5. Physiotherapists help individuals with parkisinson disease, nerve injuries, stroke, musculoskeletal and sports-related injuries, arthritis, metabolic disease, cardiopulmonary diseases e.t.c to live a life of freedom and independence.
6. Physiotherapy is excellent at helping people prepare their bodies for surgery and fully recover from surgical procedures.
7. In most nations of the world, Physiotherapist apply various treatment modalities other than drugs in management of various musculoskeletal and mobility challenges
8. Physiotherapist see ability in every disability, they are the foremost health workers known for restoring hope in clients who has lost hope in mobility.
9. Physiotherapists in partnership with various cooperate organisations help to design an ergonomically work friendly environment for workers.
10. Physiotherapist help in treating and restoring continence in nursing mothers who are unable to control their urine or defecation due to trauma associated with child delivery. This condition is called urinary or fecal incontinence.
11. In many parts of the world (Canada, for example), individuals do not need a referral to see a physiotherapist. This eliminates any hassle involved with beginning a physiotherapy program.
12. Physiotherapists help to lift injured athletes from plinth to pitch; People with obesity also benefit immensely from physiotherapists.
13. Physiotherapists help clients with compromised immune system such as HIV/AIDS patients to boost their immune system.
14. Some universities in UK like Harpers Admam’s have started offering degrees in Veterinary Physiotherapy.
15. Children who are unable to walk after two years of life due to delayed developmental milestone, cerebral palsy, infantile autism, etc benefit a lot from physiotherapy treatment.
Click here to read more
Written Apeh Ifeanyi Malachy (PT)